New Jersey, Newark
Considered one of Newark’s most prominent structures, this historic 35 story building, built in 1929, was vacant from 1986 until the renovation in 2008. IBI Group restored the building’s historic facade and marble clad lobby and transformed the former office building into 295 units of rental housing, ranging in size from inefficiencies to large two-bedroom duplexes. Much of the ground floor is devoted to street-oriented retail uses. Our design provided the flexibility to adapt to changes in the marketplace, including responding to projected student housing needs of nearby universities (including Seton Hall University, Rutgers University, UMDNJ and NJIT). Apartment layouts were configured to allow the option of conversion into multi-bedroom student suites. Amenity spaces are provided on cellar and second floor, including bowling alley, games room, and a business center.