Brooklyn, New York
Brooklyn College, established in 1930 and constructed in 1935, is a historically signifi cant institution of higher education. In 1936, then- President Franklin D. Roosevelt, for whom the campus’ Roosevelt Hall is named, went to the college to place the cornerstone of the school’s gymnasium. The original campus was based on Thomas Jefferson’s design for the University of Virginia, wherein the library is situated at the head of a wide lawn which is framed by academic buildings on either side. At the time, most campus planners utilized the Collegiate Gothic style but Brooklyn College decided on a Georgian style red brick, resembling the architecture of colonial America. After 60 years, the campus, unchanged since its construction, required extensive upgrades; as a result, IBI Group – Gruzen Samton was hired to develop a campus master plan for the mature, densely developed, 51 acre, landlocked campus. Completed in 1995 over the course of 18 months, the plan followed a three-phase process of data gathering, exploration of alternatives, and plan development.