New York, New York
The Chambers Street Station was opened in 1918 as part of the southern extension of the 7th Avenue Interboro Rapid Transit (IRT) line. After almost a century of continuous use and having suffered through numerous inconsiderate mezzanine reconfigurations and extensions, as well as lack of maintenance, the Chambers Street Station was in need of extensive structural repairs. New York City Transportation (NYCT) commissioned IBI Group to completely rehabilitate the New York State Historic Registered Facility. Completed in 2009, the station was upgraded cosmetically and expanded to accommodate increased passenger use. The station was also amended to comply with current NYCT and The Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) program requirements. IBI Group’s design resulted in the continuation of the station’s efficient and successful operation in its second century of use.