New York, Staten Island
In association with Curtis + Ginsberg Architects
The original design of the Staten Island Zoo Reptile Wing dates back more than three quarters of a century to 1934. Over the years, curatorial requirements related to the handling and composition of the zoo’s reptile collection have changed dramatically. In order to comply with regulations, the zoo, along with the New York City Department of Design and Construction (DDC), retained IBI Group to conduct an extensive renovation and expansion of the 82 year-old Staten Island Zoo Reptile Wing. The upgraded wing reinforces the facility’s global reputation as one of the most progressive herpetological centers in the world. Situated at the center of the bucolic zoological grounds, the reconstructed building serves as the new main entrance to the expanded reptile and amphibian exhibit area.